Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Monte Carlo/ Excalibur

Hi all - would like your views on which choice and why ......... let me explain.





Will be staying at MGM and later moving to Mirage - we have a weekend in between and we%26#39;re looking for a move to give us another starting point and different surroundings in addition to experiencing a new hotel.





Anyway, MrsCFC fancies the Excal whilst I don%26#39;t. Budget is of importance so high end properties out of the equation particularly over the weekend. I can get a wide-screen view room at Excalibur for a very decent rate or the Monte Carlo basic deluxe for very similar and the MC quite appeals to me.





Mrs CFC has concerns re the construction at City Center next door and the pools being shaded by it (she likes to get a tan). I have concerns about the Excal and its notoriety for attracting small people who scream a lot.





We don%26#39;t have luxury of comped rooms anywhere though we can get discounts of a sort at the Harrahs properties if you feel an alternative appropriate. That said, we have stayed at Caesars and IP previously so they are out.





Our stay in Vegas isn%26#39;t until August so I%26#39;m aware that many more offers may turn our heads leading up to then but my research tells me that good deals are much harder to find at the weekend.





Thanks a million for your help - both myself and MrsCFC will watch with interest.



Monte Carlo/ Excalibur


My last Visit to vegas in 2006 I stayed at Monte Carlo , It wasnt my Favorite stay in Vegas, They were building that building then as well I was lucky to have a room away from the work. This time Im staying at Excalibur. Just to be different





Have stayed MGM Grand Twice and Aladdin





John



Monte Carlo/ Excalibur


I prefer Monte Carlo(stayed at MC four or five times, Excal twice) prior to construction.





I do not personally think a big screen tv on vacation is a deal breaker, but Excalibur is your choice if it is. Another item that is different in each hotel, the rooms at MC have the bathtub/shower combo, Excalibur only has the shower. Rooms at MC are nicer IMO.





Unless there are significant changes to the pool area of Monte Carlo, it has a few nice pools, a small version of lazy river and a separate wave pool. The set of elevators is just a few yards away from the pool area so you do not have to walk far to get to the pool. The pool at Excalibur is just okay, but has the sun for a lot of the day. I share your same feelings about the sun or lack of it, but I admit that I do not know how the construction next door affects the pool area in sun, dust, and noise, but it has to be adjacent to the pool area. Either of these two pool areas will sure to be a step down or two or three from MGM, whose pool area is sun filled with a great lazy river, and place is huge. Kids are just as likely in either location, but we have not had any headaches with this at either place, but have heard others complain. I will be interested in some of the other replies also.





Good luck in your decision and have fun.




I%26#39;ve stayed at the Excalibur (last August) but not Monte Carlo.





I wouldn%26#39;t stay at Excal again; the room was very average/plain, perfectly serviceable but I like my Vegas vacation experiences to be a bit special, so I was glad when we switched hotels after two days (we like to hotel hop).





The pool is nothing special either, and loaded with kids.





If you%26#39;re not staying there, you can still experience all of the hotel except for the rooms and the pool, so that may satisfy the Mrs if she%26#39;s looking for some Medieval decor.





Never stayed at MC so can%26#39;t comment on pool shade, but a cautionary note re: ';getting a tan'; in Vegas in August; It%26#39;s hot. No, really hot. If you%26#39;re laying out in the direct sun, it%26#39;s bacon-frying-in-a-pan kind of hot. Make sure you have lots of water, sunblock, and the option of shade.





I went several years ago in July with my (now ex-) wife and she pooh-poohed the sun, said that with her dark complexion she could lay out all day. After the first day she spent most of the rest of the trip lying in bed covered with moisturizer.





Anyway, have a great trip. You%26#39;re right to book now (make sure the deal is cancellable), then keep shopping; the best deals for August may not appear until July....




I would sit tight and see what comes up for TI,Mandalay Bay,THEHotel,Palazzo,Ventian,PH,Flamingo. If the choice is MC or Excal i would say MC



What about GN downtown great pool and a break from the strip



if you have not already sign up for emails what are your dates in august?




I agree with Abbo i would wait and see what else would come up,but of the two i would choose MC,Excal is worn and is kiddie land.




Thanks to all - your advice and options are very much appreciated.





I will answer the points raised in one post rather than reply to individuals.





Have been to Vegas in August before and wow, that heat is something else. It was difficult to breathe for the first few hours after landing until we adjusted but it still felt like someone was holding an electric fire over our heads. We adore the sun but as you rightly say, you must treat it with the up-most respect.





We tried the Golden Nugget last year and although we thoroughly enjoyed the downtown experience we chose the wrong weekend as it was Labor Holiday and packed to the rafters. Getting round the pool was impossible.





Yes, we%26#39;ll keep our eyes open for any future offers but like I said, it being a weekend I doubt it will be more favourable. What we have booked is all direct so can be cancelled at no cost.





Once again, thanks to all.




I like the Excal better than MC. If you are worried about kids, stay out of the arcade and spend time at the adults-only pool.





It%26#39;s also been my experience in life that when you have a choice, and your wife wants one option, unless you feel VERY strongly about it, just give. Even if you like MC better than Exacalibur, it%26#39;s not worth fighting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment