Thursday, April 26, 2012

Question about tasting menus

We%26#39;re hoping to try out a couple of the nicer restaurants while in Vegas, and the tasting menus lasting through March seems like a great idea. My question though...are the portions for the tasting menu the same as ordering a la carte, or are they significantly smaller? DH is curious and now I am too.





Thanks! Oh, and any recommendations for the tasting menus? Has anyone been to a great place recently that they had never tried before? We%26#39;re at the MGM.



Question about tasting menus


Sometimes they%26#39;re chef%26#39;s creations that aren%26#39;t on the menu and sometimes they are an assortment of things from the menu and sometimes they are smaller portions of the same things on the menu but you get more variety. I don%26#39;t know that there are rules for tasting menus.





Tasting menu at Social House was very good and a lot of food.



Question about tasting menus


Picasso at Bellagio is amazing. However, it is also very expensive. Emeril%26#39;s at MGM used to have an excellent tasting menu, don%26#39;t know if they still do or not.






Are the tasting menus only through March or will there be new ones after that?




Several fine restaurants in Las Vegas, like in any other major city, will always feature tasting menus. Some are absolutely stunning examples of how good food can be, some not so successful. One point to remember that is surprisingly overlooked is that the course will always feature SMALL portions (sometimes just smaller portions of things available on the menu) - the idea being to offer a TASTE, if not fully satisfy your appetite on its own. A tasting menu of 5-7 course can leave you very full, though! ;)





Though most all tasting menus are prix fixe, not all prix fixe menus are tasting menus - many are simply a limit of choices among 3-5 full size courses. Both menu types are often paired with wines and, depending on the skill of the sommelier and chef, can be a great way to savor a taste of very exclusive wines that you might not otherwise have the opportunity.




Thanks for the clarification, 4yanx. Some of the prix fixe menus look delicious and appear well priced. Are there any restaurants that are consistently good when it comes to this kind of menu?




I had two of the tasting menus on the current MGM Spring Menus offer during my last trip to Vegas. Nobhill and L%26#39;Atelier. Both were the same as regular portions, and I think you will find the sam at the other MGM restaurants.





At Nobhill, you get to choose from a limited number of regular menu items for appetizer, main and desert. Full portions. I had the carmelized sunchoke soup, short ribs and coconut candy bar dessert. Very good for the price.





At L%26#39;Atelier, you get to select from a limited number of items for 5 courses. These are typical portions for L%26#39;Atelier. In a word, the food is outstanding, and an absolute steal for the price. I paid $79; people around me were easily paying $200+ for the same food. From the choices I had the steak (excellent!) and tartes (also great). After 5 courses you will be stuffed, especially if you partake freely of the regularly changing selection of breads. I had not eaten for 10 hours when I went and I stumbled out I was so full.





You have to know about these menus before you go in; they do not tell you about them or give you the menu unless you ask for it.




I just want to throw my votes in for Picasso and Nobhill!!! YUMM!!!




Small portions? I have eaten several tasting menus at Vegas establishments and never found the plates or portions to be small.




you will not walk away hungry have no fear




Personally, I have never tasted a menu..sorry, but I couldn%26#39;t help myself!! LOL





Good Luck!





VegasSue

No comments:

Post a Comment